28 September 2009

Indian Princess


IMG_7312, originally uploaded by ramseybean.
Erin and Jim have officially joined the ranks of the YMCA's Adventure Guide program. They were 'inducted' last night into their tribe at a ceremony that was unlike anything Jim or I had ever experienced. Clearly the men were in charge because there was LOTS of fire (see photos below). This picture was taken before the ceremony started with Mark & Ellie Brenner (center) and Jeff & Allison Penn (left), friends of our since the girls were very small. After the ceremony last night we decided to make a strategic move and switch tribes so that Allison and Erin could be together. They are both thrilled with the decision.
IMG_7313

They all take "Indian" names (I feel like I have to put everything related to the Indian piece in quotes because it is so fake Indian - I really have some mixed feelings about that aspect).  Erin is Little Sun and Jim is Running Bull, you know he had to get the Bulls in there somewhere.  My quotes around the "Indian" names is justified when you hear some of the other names people have selected....Flying Unicorn, Hoosier Daddy, Snoring Wolf.  Not so sure those are terribly authentic or serious names.  Again it fuels my mixed feelings about the whole thing.  I do believe the core purpose - girls and their dads bonding together, spending time doing fun activities and developing skills is incredibly good.  It is just the association with the Indians I could do without.  These old(er) men in their massive headdresses and such make Chief Illiniwek look tame.

Here is William in the dark with his flashlight.  He was very patient last night because the ceremony started very late and it was long.  He enjoyed running around in the dark with the younger siblings while I found that to be quite nerve-racking.  I am usually not that overprotective, but being in a public park at night with lots of tall brush/weeds on the perimeter of the field freaked me out. 
IMG_7315

Here is the view of the half dozen fires they set to make everyone 'official'.  I am sure this is very authentic and what real Native Americans do when bringing new people into the tribe (tongue in cheek).  Jim is on the left behind the Omaha guy.  I did appreciate that our Chief was the only one who didn't wear a head dress - he wore a straw hat with decorations on it.
IMG_7321

No comments: